The North American Rescue SPEAR Decompression Needle is a versatile device that allows the user to administer either lateral decompression or traditional anterior needle thoracostomy.
The SPEAR (Simplified Pneumothorax Emergency Air Release) device features a sharper needle point that reduces the amount of force required to insert the needle. The additional spin-lock feature helps prevent premature separation between the needle and catheter. The device has centimeter depth markings which helps with the confirmation of depth and success, and a detachable, low pressure one-way check valve that creates an audible whistle as air rushes through. The one-way valve is removable from the needle and can reapplied to the catheter or left off entirely, according to local protocols. Upon removal of the needle, the remaining catheter is a flexible, kink-resistant material with a soft tip to lessen the impact on possible tissue contact. Also, the catheter features 3 fenestrations (holes) along the length to aid in air flow.
The latest TCCC Guidelines have allowed for a 10ga Needle in addition to the traditional 14ga product. The larger lumen increases the area of flow by more than two and a half times. The additional length of the SPEAR device (total catheter length: 3.75 in.) should allow the user to reach and maintain access to the pleural space in a vast majority of the population
- Latest innovation in Needle Decompression technology
- Designed based on known gaps in the management of tension pneumothorax
- Sharper needle point for easier insertion
- User friendly features like spin-lock connection, depth markings, and detachable low-pressure one-way valve
- Fenestrations along catheter for additional air flow
- Familiar, rugged, pen-style case for ease of storage and deployment
- Allows either lateral decompression or traditional anterior needle thoracostomy
- Catheter made of flexible kink-resistant material with a soft tip
- Single use only. Supplied sterile
- Packaged: L 7.625 in. x Diameter 0.75 in.
- Catheter: 10Ga x 3.75 in.
- Weight: 1 oz
WARNING: This product may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov